Due to the harsh economic times (at least for me…but if you buy me coffee i always tend to forget all about these harsh times) you might be wondering which are the cheapest smartphones in Kenya.
Below i have assembled the Cheapest Smartphones in Kenya and their current market prices in kenya. Yes they are cheap but have decent features. None of these phones is more than Ksh 8,500 but the specifications are decent enough to even allow you use them on your way to diaspora, Rongai (Sorry Ronga guys, that place is very far until Safaricom thought it was wise to put wifi on your buses) .
No more Ronga Jokes let see the cheapest smartphones in kenya.
Ideos Ascend Y-100
Who does not know Huawei and their famous Ideos phone. Its one phone that really opened up the smartphone market in Kenya. They are at it again with Huawei Ascend Y100 which was launched in Kenya by Huawei in collaboration with Safaricom in June 2012, with an introductory market price of Ksh 8,500 but right now the price has come down to around Ksh 6,000 which makes it the cheapest smartphones in Kenya. A run through of its features are:
- 3.2-megapixel camera but lacks the flash light
- 3G Network Support and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n that can be used as wifi hotspot
- A screen size of 240 x 320 pixels, 2.8 inches (~143 ppi pixel density)
- Has an Internal Memory of 256 MB RAM and 512 MB ROM
- External Memory supports microSD of up to 32 GB
- Internet Speeds of upto 7.2 Mbps for HSDPA, and 5.76 Mbps for HSUPA,
- Has a camera of 3.15 MP
- Runs on Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Has a decent Processor 800 MHz Cortex-A5 for a phone of KSH 6,000
I highly recommend this phone to any (Eastlando) guy looking to quickly make a kill on his first date.
Guys guys! Tecno is not one of those type of phones that we Kenyans have famously nicknamed “China Phones“. Tecno is a decent company with some of the best Android powered phones in the market today. I think (disputable) they were “sandwiched” by the so called “China Phones” because they entered the Kenyan market when the china phones were about to replace the TV sets in our Houses. One thing that remains a mystery to me about those “China Phones” is after doing the hard work of ensuring that these devices could act as TVs, Radios, MP3 Player, Flash Light/Sport Light/Mulika Mwizi, Recorder, and a DJ System, how hard was it then to embed Java in them(Anyway that is a discussion for another day) . Back to our second phone, Tecno N3s, another lower end phone that really boasts of superb features compared to its current market price in Kenya of Ksh 6,000. The Features on this phone are
- 3.5 inch capacitive HVGA LCD touchscreen
- Android v2.3.5 (Gingerbread) operating system
- 3.0MP camera (no autofocus, no LED flash)
- GPRS/EDGE/3G HSDPA/Wi-Fi internet access
- Up to 7.2Mbps download speeds on 3G networks
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with internet sharing feature (Wi-Fi hotspot)
- 800Mhz single-core processor
- 256MB RAM
- 512MB internal memory (free 8GB Tecno branded microSD card in the box if your vendor has not done the injustice)
- Supports External Memory of upto 32GB
- Compared to Huawei Ascend Y100 it has a superior screen size of 3.5 inches and screen resolution of 320×480 pixels
This kind of phone will sure be suitable for those guys who walk in town with big fake Beat By Dre HeadPhones, because of its superior FM radio and MP3 Player Capabilities.
Alcatel T Pop
Alcatel have come along way in the Kenyan phone market. I think the first phone i ever saw was a very Huge blue Alcatel Phone with a very long Antennae. That is long time ago (yes am very old, infact i have been shaving my beards for the last 15 years) and now Alcatel have a very nice a smart phone called Alcatel T Pop. This phone is amazing for just Ksh 6,500 you get all the specs below :
- Its weighs just 118 g compared to their earlier Huge Blue Alcatel (seriously i shouldn’t be comparing the two)
- Has a screen size of 320×480 pixels, 3.5 inches (approx 165 ppi pixel density)
- Runs on Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Has a superior Processor of 1GHz compared to the previous two phones
- is relatively new phone having been announced in January 2013 and officially released in February the same year
- Has an internal Memory of 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM and supports upto 32GB on microSD external memory
- Can get to speeds of up to HSDPA 7.2 Mbps on 3G network
- You can use it as Wi-Fi hotspot for your other gadgets.
- The UK version of this phone has 2MP Camera while US version comes with a 3.2 MP Camera (what is the reasoning behind this?), both with no flashlight
Currently this phone is used as attention seeking devices in our Universities and Colleges (at least in KU, i live nearby).
Samsung Galaxy Pocket
Here comes the Big Boy of the industry Samsung. One fact about Samsung is they take advantage of the free Android OS licence to tweak it (the Android OS) and deploy on their devices in an intelligent way that ensures optimization on every hardware the phone possess whether a high end phone or a low end phone. Everyone who has bought a samsung device lives to regret three months down the line because the next Samsung Phone release of the same family model is always cheaper but with superior features. I bought Samsung Galaxy Mini at Ksh 12,000 only for Samsung Galaxy Music to be released 5 months later at KSH 10000 with superior OS and CPU. Don’t despair though because this Samsung Galaxy Pocket will only cost you Ksh 8,000. The reason for this relatively cheap price is because this phone is now becoming of age as it was announced back in February 2012 and officially released in April 2012, One year plus in tech industry is long time for many new ways of doing things to realized.
Specifications of this phone are:
- Display Screen Size is 240 x 320 pixels, 2.8 inches (~143 ppi pixel density)
- It definitely has a superior internal memory of 3GB, you do not need to delete Facebook and Twitter data every now and then
- Can support upto 32GB on the microSD card slot
- Has a relatively poor camera of 2MP for a samsung phone
- Runs on Android OS version 2.3 Gingerbread (this android names make me hungry).
- Has a relatively inferior processor of 832 MHz ARM 11.
This phone would likely be owned by those guys who have just landed their first Job and want to climb ranks and compare themselves to their senior staff who also own samsung phones but of superior features. ( This Freshers in the corporate world think all Samsungs mobile phones are the same)
Alcatel one touch 918
Another Alcatel in this category of low end phones. Alcatel one touch 918 is relative an older phone having been announced back in November 2011 and officially released the same month. The specs of this phone are
- 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900
- Screen Display Size 320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches (~180 ppi pixel density)
- Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB
- Has internal memory of 150 MB, 512 MB ROM, 256 MB RAM
- Has superior internet connection Speeds: HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps
- The camera is 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels
- Runs on Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread)
- Has a CPU of 650 MHz
I don’t know who this phone suits best..maybe we can discuss on the comments section below
And there you have it good people the cheapest smartphones in Kenya. Check the category you fall in in the descriptions above and go ahead and buy the phone in your category.
Tip: All these phones are discounted in all Safaricom shops by a whopping Ksh 1/-